December 23, 2005

Internship-Just or Real-

My supervisor said to me, “Remember to keep trying to be a real bilingual.”


I have translated training materials though the internship and realized how difficult it is. I can understand what it is about by reading English materials, but once I start to translate sentences into Japanese (sometimes from Japanese to English), I often struggle to do that. I mean, it is hard to choose the best word to convey the message. I need to have knowledge of trainings and translate materials according to trainers’ intention.

Japanese begin using English words in a daily conversation, and that also makes me confused. Like I often think, “Can I leave the English word as it is, or should I use Japanese? Which word makes readers understand it better???” For the reason, I sometimes look up the word in a dictionary to choose a proper one even if I know the Japanese meanings of an English word.

To me, my supervisor is a great translator. She always checks my translation and edits it. Her translation is much more natural than mine, and I am impressed with it every time.

What she said was she has worked with both Japanese and American and known what words business people like. She added that anyone could translate but there would be a big difference between just translators and real translators.

I think it is worthwhile thinking what she said. In what way should I deliver words? What kind of background can I contribute? I want to be a real bilingual, not just.

2 Comments:

At December 24, 2005 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi maffie.

I think it is very difficult to translate English to Japanese and Japanese to English, too.
We can understand English sentences by ourselves.
But it is hard to choose exactly words.
As you know, even if Japanese,
I don't have so many words...

By the way, I hope you'll be a real bilingual.
You can do it!!

 
At December 24, 2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Maffie said...

Tomoko>
Thanks, Tomoko! It is hard to choose the best word that suits the situation, isn’t it? I myself need to have a large vocabulary of both English and Japanese. I will keep studying it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home