November 14, 2005

Internship-Monday Meeting, “SURF!”-

Every Monday, We have a meeting called “SURF!”, which stands for “Start Up Really Fast”. I will tell you why it is the “fast” meeting.

I asked its origin to our president the other day and found “SURF!” had grown out of "SUUM" which stood for "Start Us Up Meeting". The meetings sometimes took over an hour, so they shortened it to 30 mins. maximum, and "Start Us Up Meeting" became “Start Up Really Fast”.

Here are the secrets of having an efficient meeting. We prepare for the agenda a few days before the meeting. If we want to cover some topics in the meeting, we write what we will talk about and how long it will take on the agenda. Our facilitator is also in charge of a timekeeper, so she times each person’s talk with a timer. If we are still talking but the time comes, we realize we have to finish talking by hearing its sound, so that we start summarizing our thoughts. It helps us talk to the point and the meeting won’t drag on.

In the meeting, we make sure of week schedule and summarize the trainings we had. So, all we know what is going on and what will come next. It may sound a normal meeting, but our meeting is interesting as well as useful. A person, who we call “toastmaster”, brings one topic to the meeting, and 3 people who are pointed out by the toastmaster give a 30-second speech. We agree that it is good to practice a short speech. Of course, we use a timer while we are having the toastmaster part. As a second language learner, it is very challenging for me to do that. After I give a speech, I often think “I should have said in this way.” I am always impressed with our trainers’ speech. They are good at getting their ideas in order and delivering the speech.

Today’s topic was “tangible and intangible idea (experience).” Can you think about the story in your life and give a short speech at this moment?

At the end of the meeting, each person states the update over the weekend and the week goal within 1 mins.

Here comes the time!

5 Comments:

At November 16, 2005 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you write a long diary,
I can study English.
Thanks a lot!!

I always enjoy it.
And this time, I could underatand
what "SURF" means!
That's cool!!

I'm looking forward to reading your next diary.

Surf Up!!
(I don't have any special meaning.
I just wanted to say it.)

 
At November 16, 2005 11:58 PM, Blogger Maffie said...

Tomoko>
I am happy to know you enjoy reading my blog, although my English is not perfect. Let's try to keep improving our language skills!

 
At November 18, 2005 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maffie>
I am happy to read your blog everytime, because you are always keep trying to improve your English, so I don't know why but something makes me to read your blog.

Tomoko>
I agree with you. Everyday I am missing to hear English. Even though English drama is broadcasting in Japan, something is missing I think.
Well, use the "surf up" imperatively Tomoko.

 
At November 19, 2005 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SURF sounds very interesting. You have great opportunities... and I know you'r using all of them.
I really want to hear more from you when we meet! And Susanne will be on a seminar directly we're leaving for Tokyo.
If I am very lucky I might be sent to a management training in Japan for group members all over the world (if I am very lucky it is not during winter time)

thorsten

 
At November 19, 2005 7:50 AM, Blogger Maffie said...

Mark>
Hi, Mark! How have you been doing? I know how you feel. I often watch English drama, but it is not enough at all. Honestly, I am afraid of forgetting English. One of my friends checked my English the other day, and I realized I have a lot of mistakes. I still need to study English. Oh, you know what? I will meet up with Toshiko today, and see Yuko next week. Plus, I work part-time at the same restaurant as Fumi works. You know, all are Seattle friends! Let me know if you have a chance to come to Tokyo!!

Thorsten>
I am lucky to have great opportunities from the internship. Yah, I will talk about it when we meet. So, you mean you might have another chance to come to Japan? I hope it will come true ;-) I am very very looking forward to seeing you and Susanne!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home