October 27, 2005

Beyond Culture

How nice it is to have got to know her.

Through the volunteer to teach Japanese to international students studying at our university, I have got to know one woman who comes from Denmark. It did not take time for us to become good friends. Even if we have culture differences, we have similar ideas, and I feel close to her. Thinking of it, I believe we can be beyond culture.

She is really thoughtful and hardworking. We often share our thoughts and learn each culture. Such as today, she just wrote an essay about manners of using a cell phone in public comparing Denmark and Japan, so we talked about it. Customs differ from one country to another. For the reason, when we visit somewhere another country without knowing its manners, we might act as if we were in our own country. Supposing it, we can be seen as foreigners who do not care about manners. I (We) think having good manners is one of the morals. It is hard to gain an idea of manners from books, but we can learn it faster if we see and pay attention to people around us.

We just chat at times and talk deeply at other times. I have a good time being with her at all times. And I admire her.

3 Comments:

At October 29, 2005 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually wanted to apply to teach in Japan through one of the cultural exchange programs.

But the paperwork was nothing short of impossible.

 
At October 30, 2005 9:53 AM, Blogger Maffie said...

Alvarny>
So, you did not apply for the program? I am sorry for that. Teaching language is hard but it is fun to know how people improve their skills. It also helps me speak correct Japanese, because I want them to learn proper words.

 
At November 05, 2005 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried applying for it, but they wanted original copies of the certificates which I am unwilling to give.

I gave them copies of the certificates which I guess did not work out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home