September 27, 2005

Internship-Welcome and Being Welcomed-

Working in mixed culture, I thought how you welcome people makes a big difference.


As an intern, I work with American, Canadian, and Japanese. We speak English in the office but we sometimes talk to each other in Japanese. We say:

行ってきます(ITTEKIMASU): I'm leaving. I'm going. See you. Bye…
行ってらっしゃい(ITTERASSHAI): Take care. See you. Bye. Have a nice day…

ただいま(TADAIMA): I'm home. I'm back…
おかえり(OKAERI): Welcome back. Hi, there!...

お疲れ様(OTSUKARESAMA): It is difficult to translate it into English though…it can be like Good job! See you later. You worked hard today, so please take a good rest…

As I mentioned in the previous blog, we also greet each other saying “Aloha!” in the morning. They come over to shake hands with me when I enter the office even thought they already start working.

It is a small thing, but I feel welcomed by shaking hands or hearing OKAERI – and I like to give that back. At the same time, their way of greeting makes me feel like I have something to do there and I am willing to return to the office.

Things go well when people feel good and feel like they count for something.

Giving people a hearty welcome
Receiving a warm welcome


They are good at doing it.

6 Comments:

At September 27, 2005 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a little difficult to
express their feeling directly for
some Japanese.
I mean we aren't good at doing it.
Don't you think so?

Maybe, it is our national character.
But we need to learn by imitating them.

At the same time, I think you are good at
expressing your feeling.
I feel you are not a double-faced person.
At the least, in front of me.
Actually sometimes, your response or express
is a little bit too big!!
But I respect you and want to learn a lot from you.
Because I'm not good at doing it...

So people gather around you naturally.
During our trip to Europe, I thought.


By the way, I'll go to KOBE from tomorrow.
So I will not be able to read your blog for a while.

 
At September 27, 2005 9:06 PM, Blogger Maffie said...

Tomoko>
Thanks, frequent viewer! I guess you talk with me more than your boyfriend, huh? Yah, he is always busy. Sorry for him…

There are many differences in business between foreign countries and Japan. Like you said, we can learn some things from their business. But I also think they learn something from Japanese business style. In terms of the word “OTSUKARESAMA”, Japanese tend to see an effort and the process of work, so we often say, “OTSUKARESAMA” (Thanks for your hard work.) On the other hand, English-speaking people focus on achievement and say, “Good job!” more often to praise a person. This is my opinion though.

Each business has a good point, so it would be nice to say, “Good job! You sure did. OTSUKARESAMA” Is it too much?

Thank you for your compliment! Yah, you might be able to tell easily how much I feel happy and excited just by seeing my face. Is it?

So, you gonna leave for KOBE to take a pre-training for your job! Have fun and OTSUKARESAMA!

 
At September 30, 2005 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maffie!
I am finally leaving a coment! Though I've been checking here ocasionally since right after you told me about this, it took me long to coment on your blog.
I just wanna say you are doing good job!! I really like this blog. Your writing always make me happy and give great energy to me. I think you are just like the name of this blog!!
I am looking forward to reading next.

 
At October 01, 2005 9:19 AM, Blogger Maffie said...

Sue>
Sue~!!! I am happy you read my blog. Since I had a wonderful time with you in Seattle, I had wanted to update my daily life and keep in touch with you. This blog will probably help imagine how I am doing in Japan.

Yes, fortunately I had a chance to meet with your friend Alex and her partner. We talked a lot eating Japanese food and had a good time. Especially, I enjoyed listening to their dance life. It reminded me of the days when I kept practicing ballroom dance.

I like this internship. I like the people…I like the atmosphere…I enjoy what I am doing there.

I have too many things to talk to you as well!! I will check the e-mail and give you a response soon.


Yuko>
I miss you, Yuko! Thanks for your comment. It’s good to know that you get energy by reading my blog. Let me know how you are doing. I like to hear from you. Why don’t we have a dinner together? I am looking forward to seeing you very soon!

 
At October 01, 2005 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue...?
Is she the one who was our instructor??
If so, it's very nice! I wanna say hi to her.

 
At October 01, 2005 7:08 PM, Blogger Maffie said...

Yuko>
Actually, Sue who gave me a comment is not our instructor~~ I miss Seattle very much. host family, my friends, teachers, and people at the place of internship… I want to see them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home