August 29, 2005

Japanese Style???

For rain
For skin
For fashion
For traditional art
For what else…


There are many differences between foreign countries and Japan. I think it is one of the differences how to do skin care. Many women in Japan use umbrellas as parasols to keep off the sun, while I hardly saw women using that kind of umbrellas when I was in the US. Maybe we are afraid of exposing our skin to sunlight and try to protect the skin from the damaging effects of the sun’s UV rays, though some people go to a beach or a tanning salon to get a suntan. In Japan, you can also see women wearing long-sleeved clothes in summer. Talking about farmers, they cover all of their body by wearing long-sleeved clothes, long pants and hat!



I did not care about my skin when I was a teenager. I used to be a runner and had a good tan. But I started protecting my skin as I grew up. Also my mother has been telling me to use a UV protect umbrella in order to have milky skin. Yah, now I use it. It also keeps me cool!


To use an umbrella might be one of our traditions. We have a Japanese umbrella made from traditional Japanese papers and bamboo. We rarely use it anymore but we would find women wearing Kimono and taking traditional umbrellas with them in many pictures of the distant past like the Edo period.

Anyway, do you use a sunshade in summertime? Is it Japanese-like??

2 Comments:

At August 30, 2005 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't see thoes diary.

Anyway, about sunshade...
I've never used it!!
I just apply cream to protect sunburn.
I think my skin is very strong.
My skin can adapt whatever environment.

But I know, I know.
20-aged is the turning point of our skin.
So I have to do something care.
However, I think "Now is OK," at once.

I'm afraid of my future...

 
At August 31, 2005 1:51 AM, Blogger Maffie said...

Tomoko>
It sounds like you have strong skin. That’s great, but you might be better to do something for yourself. It is usually nice to get into action before something happens.

But yah, I am not careful enough. You know, I love sunshine. I sometimes go out without sunshade, sunscreen nor makeup. I need to be careful about my skin because it is easy to get damage. Even sunburn!

mmm…we have already turned 20, huh?...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home