August 21, 2005

Earthquakes

Japan…it is the country with frequent earthquakes.


Recently we have been having earthquakes very frequently. When a strong earthquake occurred in the TOUHOKU region last week, which is in the northern part of Japan, Tokyo also shacked a lot. Then today, another one happened in NIIGATA, which is in the opposite side of Tokyo. At the time, I was on the 8th floor of the building in Tokyo and felt it…

I heard we are getting to be able to predict earthquakes and I see technological advances. But can we really predict when earthquakes happen? I hope we will be able to do it, but I sometimes feel scary… You know, the power of nature is much stronger than that of human beings…

I finally prepared some things for earthquakes. flashlight, batteries, first-aid kit, water, emergency food, outdoor sheet… Shoes should be very important to protect my feet. Maybe I also need to include gloves and rope.

What else do I need? Did you prepare something for it???

2 Comments:

At August 22, 2005 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I think a small radio would be useful, too.

And of course, knowing how to prevent yourself from getting trapped or hurt within your building: opening doors when a quake strikes, know hot to quickly shut off gas valves, and that sort of thing.

 
At August 23, 2005 12:40 AM, Blogger Maffie said...

Brian>
Thank you very much for giving me great advice! Like you said, a radio would be helpful!! Recalling what I did when the last earthquake happened, I just hid myself under the table. Yah, I need to keep in mind opening a door.

When we have a fire/earthquake drill, we are told to remember “O-HA-SHI”. (for someone who does not know Japanese, OHASHI means chopsticks in Japanese.)
Osanai (Don’t push)
HAshiranai (Don’t run)
SHIyaberanai (Don’t talk)

Do you have this kind of terms? I hope we can avoid or reduce damage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home