August 20, 2005

Internship-Aloha! Spirit-

“Aloha!” – It is our morning ritual.

As some of you have already known, I have been working at a human resources management/training company as an intern since July. (I will be a banker though.) The reason why I started doing it is I am interested in coaching and want to keep or even improve my English skills after my stay in the US as a student. Americans, Canadians and Japanese work in the office, so I believe I will have good experiences. I cannot be in charge of many things like other employees, but I can learn lots of things. Plus, by doing the internship, I found some tips that would make our life colorful!

We have a morning ritual. In the office, we greet each other by shacking hands and saying “Aloha~!” We also answer the phone saying the same greeting word (not “Hello”) when our staff calls the office. Honestly, I was surprised about it at first, but now I like doing it. I feel refreshed and inspirited by seeing other’s smile. And I can also think, “Ok, it’s time to start working!” So I want to give them a big smile as well.

Some of my friends who started working say people do not greet each other when they come to the office. Don’t you think it is kinda sad?

I looked up the meaning of the word, Aloha Spirit. It seems to refer to a powerful way to accomplish any goal and to resolve any problem. In the Hawaiian language, the word Aloha seems to stand for much more than hello or love. That is,
the joyful (oha) sharing (alo) of life energy (ha) in the present (alo).



Saying “Aloha!” (usually “Good morning” or “Hello”) is easy but makes others feel good. It should be a good tip on business as well. It would motivate coworkers. You know, working is sometimes not so fun…


So, let's say "Aloha~~!"


3 Comments:

At August 20, 2005 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your office seems funny!!
I just heard about your coworker,
but I like them!!
I wanna see them!!!

I've been to Hawaii.
So I can understand Aloha's feeling slightly.
I think you like ALL of Hawaii absolutely.
I can image easily that you have a fun, romp and get excited when you are in Hawaii.
I wanna go to Hawaii with you!!
Am I a challenger?
Because maybe, I won't be able to control you.....

Anyway, enjoy at your office.
I'm looking forward to hearing next episode about your job.

 
At August 21, 2005 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha~!

 
At August 21, 2005 10:21 PM, Blogger Maffie said...

Tomoko>
Thanks for your message!
As you can imagine, our office is very unique.
I might be able to introduce our staff to you
if you come to the office.

You’ve been to Hawaii, haven’t you?
I have never been there,
so I really want to visit the state!!!
YES, you are such a challenger!
If I go there, I would be VERY excited.
Hopefully, you can make me clam down…haha


Steven>
Aloha~!
You have also visited Hawaiian Islands, huh?
I enjoyed listening to the story of your trip.



I want to see beautiful blue ocean and sunset of the Islands!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home