October 04, 2005

Get Ready for Working

We had a NAITEISHIKI (内定式) yesterday.


At the beginning of Oct, we have the ceremony for potential regular employees. I do not know how NAITEISHIKI is called in English, but I can call it “Informal Appointment Ceremony”. Most Japanese companies recruit employees once a year (Apr – June), though some companies started recruiting people year-round. So, job hunting starts on Apr 1st and usually ends before summer, and companies hold NAITEISHIKI on Oct 1st, which is the day that Japanese companies are allowed to give official job offer to new employees legally. At the ceremony, we receive an offer letter and sign an agreement.


However, I will work at foreign company and they do not have the NAITEISHIKI. I think foreign companies are more flexible as compared to Japanese ones. In my case of job hunting, I received the job notice from the company at the end of Mar and signed the agreement in Apr. What I feel is Japanese tends to be all at once and equal, while foreigners see individual or uniqueness, although I understand we need to set some rules about recruitment because job hunting is getting to start earlier year by year.


Thinking of look-alike, we wear in a black suit and white shirt and put on black shoes during job hunting. If students have dyed brown hair, they re-dye their hair from brown to black. Yesterday, I saw those students a lot who seemed to attend NAITEISHIKI.


Anyway, I had a party with the students who are going to be my peers. (We called the party as a Petit NAITEI Party!) It was not official at all, so we just enjoyed talking, eating, drinking and going to Karaoke. It was fun, but at the same time I felt I am going to be a banker by talking with them.


Yah, I need to be ready for that.

4 Comments:

At October 05, 2005 12:57 AM, Blogger fumi said...

How was your a petit party wz your prospective cowokers? I can see that you had a great time through this blog. Good 4 you then.

Although, I am happy with my decision that I accepted the offer from my company, I sometimes feel like I am missing some of "tradional" things which I could experience if I work for big Japanese companies. Such as NAITEISHIKI or SHINJIN KENSYU.

 
At October 05, 2005 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You enjoyed the party, didn't you?
Which songs did you sing?
I wanna go to KARAOKE with you!!

Talking with my peer is very very fun.
Actually I didn't have a NITEISHIKI.
Instead of that, I had an induction in Kobe, as you know.
I thought I wanted to have a NAITEISHIKI.

By the way, I talked with Keiko who was a member of NOVA academy.
She is planning a trip to Europe with her mother, like us.
I mean she will use Eurail.
So we can advice her a lot!!

 
At October 06, 2005 1:51 AM, Blogger Maffie said...

Fumi>
Yah, we will miss some things. However, we won’t regret not having those traditions as long as we are satisfied with what we do. You think?

Tomoko>
As you can imagine, I had a good time at that night. We sang many songs from foreign songs to Japanese ones. We also sang a medley of hits, like hits in 1997, hits of SMAP, hits of Hikaru Utada. It was lots of fun! Let’s go to Karaoke~

So, you did not have NAITEISHIKI, either. I think it makes us realize that we are becoming a member of the company. The pre-training that you took in Kobe seems to be considered as a part of NAITEISHIKI. It is good for you. I hope you enjoyed it.

I am happy to talk with Keiko about our travel to Europe. She will find some good tips from our experiences!

 
At October 08, 2005 12:03 PM, Blogger Maffie said...

humblewarrior>
Thanks for visiting here. I think Japanese job hunting is unique and there are several job-related events and activities. It can be one of the job-related activities to visit our seniors of the university who work for the company that we are interested, which we call OBOG訪問(It is Japanese-English. OB=Old Boy/OG=Old Girl). By doing so, we gain better understanding of the company. However, it is sometimes considered as a required activity without being stated. It depends on the companies though. Hmm…it is hard to explain how it looks like. As a job seeker, we need to pass some written tests, such as SPI, GAB, CAB, E-testing, and essay. We have not only interviews, but also group activities and discussion. As you imagine, there are many special terms related to job hunting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home