October 28, 2006

Volunteer for school kids

What kind of volunteer have you ever done?

Our company holds many opportunities and programs of financial education, and we are supporting financial education in cooperative efforts with organizations such as Junior Achievement.

I applied for one of the volunteer programs we support, and today I did a volunteer for elementary school kids. It was an opportunity for children to learn social structure. I mean, the program is designed to give them a one-day hands-on learning in the virtual community which is called “Student City”. (The city looks almost real! You will be surprised if you see it!!!) After preparatory study in the classroom, those kids role-play employee and consumer in the “city”. There are several companies in the community like delivery, security, telephone, sport, and printing company. Also there are a public office, a convenience store, and of course our bank. Yea, it is the real small city!

When kids started playing their own role, they looked so confused and shy. They did not have an idea of working and greeting people. But they learned little by little and seemed to understand the difference between “working” and “playing”. They also held a meeting between each stage to discuss how to get things done efficiently. As you might imagine, they improved themselves A LOT. At the end of the program, they looked professional;-)

They said it was fun but got exhausted. Maybe, they knew how hard to earn money.

By doing the volunteer work today, I realized children can learn so fast. I got tired as well, but my day became a great one!

3 Comments:

At October 29, 2006 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very interesting program! I really think that having students getting education and gaining working experience the same time is always the best thing for them. Besides I believe that customer service is one major thing that most students should learn before start working in Japan right? ;)

I am very surprised!
Your english improved a lot. ;)

 
At October 29, 2006 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh sorry I forgot to post up my name =D

 
At November 01, 2006 10:12 PM, Blogger Maffie said...

Hi, Steven! LONG TIME NO SEE! How are you? Yea, the program was really interesting. I think it was a good opportunity for kids to have a working experience.
My English improved?? Oh, thanks. But I think my English is getting worse…I am trying to keep my English level though. Well, you’ll see ;-)

I hope things are going well for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home