December 23, 2009

Having a Host Family

I’m glad if you like it.


I sent a Christmas card with a small gift, green tea, to my host family in Germany as a surprise. I know they love green tea.


I went to Tsukiji market with my friend the other day and stopped by a green tea shop where me and host parents had visited together. I flashed back to the time and wanted to give the green tea to them.


When I received a Thank-you e-mail from them, I felt so warm. On the card I sent, as I also wrote about the time when we first met at Hamburg central station, both we laughed looking back at that situation.


In Sep, 2003, I went to Germany, which was my first time to go there, to do an internship through a university program, although I was a poor speaker of German. I cannot believe myself I made such a decision! Anyway, I arrived at Frankfurt and I was supposed to meet up with my host family at Hamburg central station. But my train ticket was not booked somehow and I needed to take another train. A local coordinator kindly made a call to my host family, and then I waited to take another train alone for a few hours… When I was on a train going to Hamburg, I felt worried if I could meet them. I had no idea how they looked like. When my train arrived at the station, my host father was waiting at a usual platform, but he heard the announcement and it said my train arrived at another platform! He rushed carrying a little daughter in one hand and a little hand-made Japanese flag in another hand. When I got off the train, I walked by a man and a little girl holding two little Japanese flags. So, I turned back and spoke to them like “Excuse me? Are you looking for me?” That was my first words! LOL. I did not mention even my name or who I was!! But, yea, they were looking for me ;-)


I stayed in Germany for one month and I had a lot of experiences there. Because of my poor German, I had a hard time to go through, but thanks to my host family, every experience became good memory. I enjoyed the time.



Dear my host family,


Thank you for being my host family even though you had a hard time to manage many things happening in your family at the time. I am so lucky to have got to know you. There are billions of people in this world, but we met. Like you said, we had good communication all together. I enjoyed talking with you after coming back from internship every night, and spending time with you all weekends.


Looking at our picture, I often think of you. I’ll keep in touch, and someday, I will visit you again.


Tons of love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home